today in the life of moi

This is my blog. My blog. Not yours, mine. My blog. It is about me. Not you, me. And my life. Not yours, mine.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

magnum opus

today i was bored. so i was browsing through wikipedia. i looked up a word which i always found at the top-right of musical scores while i was in the band. and i came across something very interesting.

Opus
is a Latin word for work. The plural of opus is opera. It is used in many fields, notably in architecture and in music.
-In music, pieces of music by composers are given opus numbers, which generally run in order of publication. Unpublished compositions often are given WoO numbers (Werke ohne Opus, German for works without opus).

so i think. and think. and think somemore. then i realise, it doesnt make sense leh! if unpublished compositions are labeled Werke ohne Opus, translated works without opus, shouldnt unpublished compositions be labeled Opus ohne Opus instead? then since it is an opus which isn't an opus, shouldn't it not be labeled an opus at all? hahahaha. this reminds me of this morning's phyvio lecture.

i wonder whether you all noticed monica making statements like, 'Hidden hyperopia is hidden, so it cannot be measured, because it is hidden!' and 'Remember to bring your calculators, so that you can calculate'. hahahaha. its like me saying, 'I am so enlightened, because i have gained enlightenment!'

i dunno la. but i found her way of speaking today very amusing. hahaha.

****

anyway, enough of all this nonsense because i am now going to stop talking nonsense yesterday i was watching some korean drama on vcd with my mum. hahahha. i don't believe i actually managed to sit through that few ours watching the show. few hours only because she was watching the last few episodes already. the show is called my name is kim sam soon or something like that. but quite interesting leh. hahaha. i feel like watching from the start again. heh. but i'd have to admit. at least these korean dramas are better those channel 8 ones. unfortunately, they're both just as addictive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home